… Being careful to provide and protect the hermeneutic of continuity of Pope Benedict XVI.
“Built in the mid-14th century, and dedicated to Saint Catherine of Alexandria, this chapel served pilgrims on their way to England’s Nazareth. Saint Catherine was the patron saint of pilgrims to the Holy Land and her knights kept open the road to Nazareth during the Crusades.
1538, the Reformation caused the Priory property to be handed over to the King’s Commissioners and the famous statue of Our Lady of Walsingham was taken to London and burnt. Nothing remains today of the original shrine, but its site is marked on the lawn in “The Abbey Grounds” in the village.
After the destruction of the Shrine, Walsingham ceased to be a place of pilgrimage. Devotion was necessarily in secret until after Catholic Emancipation (1829) when public expressions of faith were allowed.
SLIPPER CHAPEL IS RESTORED
In 1896 Charlotte Pearson Boyd purchased the 14th century Slipper Chapel, the last of the wayside chapels en-route to Walsingham, and restored it for Catholic use.
In 1897 by rescript of Pope Leo XIII, the sanctuary of Our Lady of Walsingham was restored with the building of a Holy House as the Lady Chapel of the Catholic Church of the Annunciation, King’s Lynn… Read it all.
—See the 16th century volume The Rise and Growth of the Anglican Schism
— Melvyn Bragg and Guests on Henry and Cromwell’s vicious dissolution of the monasteries (1)
— More on the dissolution of the monasteries under which Walsingham groaned…
— Catholicism, Tradition and Protestantism
— Our Blessed Mother Mary in the Order of Grace
— Theological “Progressivism”: What it is.
— The Credo of the People of God
(1) “…the scattering of relics was everywhere like the scattering of seed. All who took their mission from the divine tragedy bore tangible fragments which became the germs of churches and cities.” — from “A Short History of England” by G. K. Chesterton. And See Relics in the Catholic Encyclopedia